Pages - Menu

Sunday, February 1, 2009

RENT!!!!

Wow, wow, wow. That is how I left the theatre after watching my all time favorite musical: RENT. I have seen this musical once before when we lived in Minnesota, and I have watched the movie countless times; but what made this show extra special is that the 2 main characters: Mark & Roger, were portrayed by the actors from the original Broadway cast.

What a rush! It was a perfect night, a bit chilly, but perfect.

We started the evening with dinner reservations at about 5:15. I know, I know; a bit early, but if you have ever been to the Melting Pot, you know it takes at least 2 hours to eat all 3 courses. Just in case you didn't know, the Melting Pot is a fondue restaurant. I love fondue! We never eat it because it is kind of an expensive treat when you eat out; and a bit of a mess to make at home; not to mention that I do not have any of the necesary utensils (pots and skewers). This time we lucked out, and were able to go during Charlotte's restaurant week. Charlotte restaurant week is an event that comes around once a year, where the participating restaurants offer a 3 course meal for a fixed price. It is quite a deal if you ask me!

We got to the restaurant a bit early and were seated immediately. The booth we got was cozy and romantic. It was a small corner booth perfect for 2 people to snuggle up, but at the same time with enought space to eat comfortably. It must not be forgotten that this was a date night between the hubby and I.

The food was delicious, and after stuffing ourselves with 3 kinds of fondue, a salad, some wine and of course, water; we were ready to bolt and head to the theatre for the night's main event. I had sort of dressed myself up in a cute black jumper that I got for Christmas, but I had no luck with the shoes I put on. See, I do not wear skirts much, not to mention dresses; so all of my winter shoes are short boots that get hidden under pants; hence I had no cute winter shoes that go with a dress. Following me so far?? So I had to resort to my most wintery looking summer shoes. I know, confusing. Long story short, it was chilly, I was wearing a dress, with no stalkings (the broke during the day at work), and summer shoes. That spells: COLD.

We got to the venue and it was a full house. Every seat was taken, and there was a wide array of people. Young, old, dressed up, in jeans; you get the idea. We had pretty good seats, row O, towards the right of the stage. I would have loved to be closer, but can't complain of the view we had. We could see the entire stage.

After waiting for what seemed like forever, Roger (main guy #1) comes on stage, and the place just BURSTS into applause. Enter chills #1. Mark (main guy # 2) comes on stage shortly after and the applause gets more deafening. I was LOVING every minute of it. I could go on with extreme detail about this play; but I do not want to get you all bored with it.

Let's just say, it did not disappoint. I loved it. The performers poured their heart into each of the songs; and they threw in little "off script" bits to make it even more entertainment. I cried, yes, at the same exact spots that I ALWAYS cry; but it is one of those cries that does not make me embarrased. It is odd, because this play fills me. I know it sounds corny, but it speaks to my soul and makes me whole. It made me want to stay until the performers left the theatre to go and hug them and thank them personally for the wonderful play (as much as I wanted to be a groupie that night, I didn't).

I guess what gets to me is the message. People trying to accomplish their dream, following their hearts and being faced with some of life's thoughest times. Death of a loved one, the knowledge that you have an incurable disease, the realization that even though your ideals might not be the easiest ones to accomplish; they ARE there and not listening to them will not do you any good; fighting addiction; surviving. Friendships and relationships are the things that will get you through anything and everything. You get to chose HOW you want to live your life. Face the reality with a positive attitude, live each day to the fullest; or stay within yourself, angry and passive.

Each time I see this play, or the movie at home (which by the way, it does NOT come even close to watching it on stage) I am left speechless. I feel full of love, and much more appeciative of what I have and the relationships I have buit throughout the years.

The night was great. The best date (my husband), good food, a great show. Everything I could have asked for.

If you have the opportunity to go see RENT live, I say: GO. Do not think about it twice. You will leave the place feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. I know I did. And even today, a couple of days later, I am still feeling that way.

"There's only us. There's only this. Forget regret or life is yours to miss. No other road. No other way. NO DAY BUT TODAY"

2 comments:

  1. Great post Dani! Sounds like an absolutely fabulous date ( I LOVE Melting Pot - delicious!) - and the play seems great. What a great message - thanks for sharing! Cheers to the next time the two of you can have a special date together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading about what RENT means to you makes me want to go see it. I love the message too and it's something I need to be reminded of often. No day like today! :)

    ReplyDelete