Pages - Menu

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Inspiration

Yesterday Megan and I stayed home from school/work. She had been having a bit of a phlemy cough and I thought it was prudent to stay home and let her rest. Let me just say that the only time I changed out of my PJ's was to do a scheduled brick; and after that I went right back to wearing them.

The morning was a productive one; while I heard Megan play downstairs with a bunch of her toys (lately her favorite has been playing mommy); I went to my "creative space" and started a little "art" journal of my journey to Ironman later this year. Even though I am quite creative; when I saw the inspiration boad that Liz did with the magazine phrases I knew right away that this was a project that would suit me quite well.

So I started going through magazines and cutting up phrases and paragraphs that I enjoyed and somehow "spoke" to me; with the intention of accumulating a bunch of them to put in my little journal. As I said before (and if I haven't I'll say it now) scrapbooking is another one of the things I really enjoy; but lately it has taken third place (after family & training) simply because I do not have enough time to dedicate myself to it.

But yesterday morning was different. Here I was, at home, with a child that finally entertains herself (for the most part) and a bunch of free time. So I took out my magazine clippings, the journal that I was going to alter, some scisors, colored pencils, stamps, 3 different kinds of glue (because it is important what glue you use depending on what you are thrying to adhere) and went to work. Even though it is not the "best" of my creations, I am using the journal not only as a way to document the year leading up to the biggest race of my life; but also as a tool to practice letting go of things, to practice not being so self critical.

I am debating whether or not I will post the pictures of the journal here. Most likely I will, but I don't think I am ready yet. It will come, as everything does.

6 comments:

  1. This is a great post... After the kids get independent, we realize how much we missed them keeping us on our toes! LOL... Having a little free time rocks, and you made good use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SO COOL Danni! I have started working on a vision board. So far half of it revolves around Silverman (I look to that as a springboard for my future in the sport) and half revolves around the new business I am creating. It will probably evolve into two boards but for now it is what it is.

    I too am working on not being so self critical. From where I sit it is definitely possible but takes some practice.

    Great post girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job - sounds like a wonderful project! I am so uncreative...I just have a few things propped up on my desk so I see them when I work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave and I have been keeping journals--me for my marathons, he for his first Ironman. I use it to write about tough workouts, race reports, and stff about my running I don't want to put on the blog. I also keep quotes, pictures of me running, and inspirational items in it. I've done this since my first marathon. It's fun to go back and read the journey from where I've started until now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love keeping my blog journal for my running. It's nice to get your thoughts down, no matter how random they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the fact that you're doing this! Yeah - I read about Liz's inspiration board and thought about it... And now that you're doing it for your first IM, you've inspired me! THANKS!!!! I can't wait to see it - if you decide to post it. It can be a bit personal - I understand. It's something that means a lot to you... Sounds like the training is going great! Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete