Pages - Menu

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A view from the outside in: Goruck Challenge


A few of class 192's members and their flag

A couple of weeks ago I had the privilege to "shadow" class 192 for the Goruck Challenge in Charlotte. Since most of you might not have heard about this (after all this IS a multisport related blog) I will give you a quick summary. Imagine this: rucksack (or backpack for us mortals), loaded with bricks weighting at least 20 lbs, add a full water bladder (camelback), other "provisions" and you have yourself what you need to participate in the challenge as an individual.
What does the challenge entail? Getting a group of people to bond together as a team, operate as one; all while carrying these individual rucksacks, an American flag and other "coupons" (added items that are, most likely, very heavy). This bonding happens in the span of 8-10 hours, while covering ON FOOT 12-15 miles (and yes, all while carrying all that weight; which by the way, can not touch the ground at all) and completing missions assigned by the class cadre. The event is put together by former special ops personnel and it puts "normal" folks through a small part of what special ops training involves.
Now, you might be asking how I got myself involved in this. Well, besides golf, I think the husband has finally found the one "thing" he is really passionate about: testing his limits while doing things I would never dream of doing. After completing a few mud runs, and finding them not challenging enough; he decided to go for the "big bite". He had been preparing for this event for months, and I knew how important it was for him. So, I tagged along to take pictures and to try to document the experience as best as I could. He has been the sherpa extraordinaire and extreme supporter of my triathlon endeavors; and it was only fitting I do the same.
I arrived at the meeting point (which remained a secret until the week of the event), coffee in hand, about 20 minutes before the scheduled start time: 9 PM. Yes, you read that right, 9 PM. What I found when I arrived was a sight to behold. About 60 people were gathered there; all of them taking part of the challenge. Definitely a lot more than I expected. Right away you could tell there was a definite "divide" among them. On one hand you had the "let's pretend we are military" group; and on the other hand you had class 192. 
Classes are capped at 30 people and upon arrival of the cadre, the divide became effective. After everybody took care of the mandatory paperwork, the classes assumed formation. And the "fun" began. After a brief introduction by the cadre to lead the classes, the participants were encouraged to start "gelling" as a team. How was this accomplished? Inchworm pushups, elephant walks; things otherwise called "PT"  ( I am still not sure of the meaning of this, but I will go with Physical torture since that is what it seemed like from my spectating).
This is what an inchworm pushup looks like
It took a while for everyone to mesh together, and honestly I had to contain myself from yelling at them to get their act together (and at some point had to stop watching because it hurt to just see it). But I can imagine how difficult it must be to get 30 different people, of all different shapes and sizes to work in unison, especially when not everybody has the same strength. It was a difficult task, but they got it done. After the initial session of PT; the missions began. Each mission had a new team leader and assistant team leader; and those were the people in charge of "carrying" the group to successfully completing the mission. It is not until the challenge is actually taking place that the participants know what they will have to do or how they will have to do it. And I think that is a part of the challenge's "mystique" and why people are drawn to it. So, I am not going to recap all the stuff class 192 had to do during the course of the night. I will say, however, that I saw them become a unit. I saw them form a bond, through suffering together and getting from point A to point B as a team.

Class 192 after one of the longest, most grueling missions they went through.
They did all of this while cracking jokes (when they were allowed to talk that is), and taking jabs at each other. You see; most of class 192 had known each other for months. They had been working on their connection for a while. No, they had never met face to face until a few days before the challenge; but rather they had connected and talked smack through a closed facebook group. They were already friends and I saw them become a family.
When the morning rolled along and we arrived back at our start location the cadre congratulated them on becoming Goruck tough. All the members of class 192 started and finished the challenge. 100% pass rate. You can see their smiling faces below.

Congrats class 192! You are GORUCK tough!
Their bodies had taken a serious tall (heck! my legs were destroyed from walking all night and I did not even carry any weight); but their spirits soared to unimaginable heights. It is incredible what the body can do if you set your mind to it. And it is even more incredible to see the things people can accomplish when they work together as a team (even moving an ~800 lbs log). 
I cannot imagine a better group for the husband to have done this challenge with. He has formed an incredible bond with these folks. A bond I have the privilege to witness and participate in. Class 192 has embraced me as a part of their family and I am grateful for that. 
So.. CLASS 192, here's to you (raises beer to toast). Thank you for opening my mind to new things, for making me part of your family and for agreeing to do a challenge with me (you know who you are).  I cannot imagine becoming GRT with anyone else! 2013 here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment