Pages - Menu

Monday, October 20, 2008

Wisdom

This past Friday I had my last 2 wisdom teeth removed. While it was a relatively painless procedure (I managed the pain with over the counter pain meds), the days that followed had me in a blue mood.

 

It is true what they say that exercising is great not only for the body, but also for the mind and the soul. Being sidelined due to much needed recovery is something that I do no appreciate much. Mind you, there is nothing wrong with resting. I love it when it is planned, but HAVING to rest is something that has the opposite effect in me. It makes me restless, it makes me second guess every little detail and decision. I guess you would call that insecurity, and perhaps I am plagued with it.

 

Thoughts of never doing enough, of never being good enough enter my head at least twice a month. Not good enough by whose standards? My own, of course! My husband and daughter adore me; and I am pretty sure they are proud of the things I do. But there is this little portion of me (or maybe not so little) that constantly thinks I could be better, that I should be better. And sometimes, it defeats the other rational side of the brain and sends me into a depressive panicky mode; where no matter what I do, it is never enough.

 

Call it weight loss, job performance, salary, mothering, being a wife, being a daughter, training, racing, whatever you want to call it. Whenever the nagging voice hits me, my performance on any of these things never seem to be good enough under my own standards. Self sabotage they say it’s called. And I am totally guilty of it.

 

I was raised in a loving family environment. Parents, brothers, extended family they were, and still are, all great supporters. Yet somehow, every once in a while their expectations seemed to be so completely outrageous that led us to failure and even lies. Yes, I admit it, I lied to my parents. But lets be honest, who hasn’t? And while not every lie is the same; a lie is a lie no matter what. And there is a burden to be carried because of these lies. Not because of the lies themselves but because of the feelings that led us to those lies.

 

One of the situations I remember quite vividly is during one of my finals in my 3rd year of college. I had studied and worked for most of the year. Get up early; go to school in the morning; eat lunch; work part time in the afternoon; go home and study. There wasn’t a lot of time left for anything other than studying. Somehow I managed to have a boyfriend who attended the same school; but once he decided to change careers and transfer to another school; the relationship became inevitably broken. Heartache ensued, and no matter how much I tried to keep things separate and in perspective, there are times when your emotions take over your rational self.

 

I went to take the final; and of all the possible topics the Professor had to choose from; he chose the one I had not prepared. The one and only I was not ready to face. I failed the test. Call me silly; some people wouldn’t even consider going to take the final without being fully prepared; but I decided to take the chance. It did not go as planned and I learned my lesson. Knowing about my dad’s high expectations when it related to school work, I lied. I could not bear the thought about disappointing him; about telling him that I had failed, on a task that seemed simple enough. After all, the only thing they wanted from me was to be “good” at school. They didn’t make me work, I did it because I wanted my own money, my financial independence. So I lied. I told them I never showed up to the exam.

 

Would he have lectured me about prioritizing school work? Absolutely. Would he have been disappointed about me failing the test? I am not quite sure. Would it have caused him tons of heartache? No, it was just a test; it’s not like I did not graduate because of it. However, I  believe that it is because of little things like this; engrained in our brain, in our behaviors; that we self sabotage. Little past experiences build your character, and it is your actions back then that determine how you will face certain things in the future.

 

This is something I struggle with on a daily basis; balancing high expectations, with more rational ones. Wanting to be the best, with being the best I CAN be. Realizing that there will always be someone that beats you at something and letting go of it.  Being happy with who I am and how I am.

 

When I ask my husband how I look, or if there is something I need to improve; his answer is always the same: "your self esteem". Words of wisdom, from those who love us the most. It is time for me to start listening.

9 comments:

  1. I could have written so much of that! Isn't it funny how no matter how much our loved ones support and encourage us (my parents from the time I was little, my husband all the time now), we still have that little voice inside that questions if we are good enough? I think that's why we must be attracted to such a goal-driven sport where we can measure our success by accomplishing the things we set out to do. The recovery time now is a good thing for your body, you've got a big 2009 coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get what you are saying here. I've been trying to get some self esteem back in these recent years too (I NEVER in a million years thought my self confidence would take a hike -- go figure!).

    For me it's been some events of the past five years, including the death of my mother, that has shaken things up to the core and has not been easy.

    It's hard to put a finger on it sometimes. For me, forcing my brain to not think so much and just take action on the things I want to accomplish has helped a lot. I still have a ways to go though.

    Noone, and I mean NO ONE, is immune to fluctuations in confidence throughout life. I thought I was. I thought I would never lose confidence in myself EVER. I was wrong. And that's okay. I am human.

    Good luck with this and thanks for putting it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally hear you about the forced time off. It makes me crazy too. But no more self-sabotage, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dearest Danni... Being your best is quite diffent from being "The Best". The former is something we can always work on. The later involves what other people think about us. Over that, we have no control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Controlling the negative self-esteem is one of those things that's easier said than done. With my weight watchers a few weeks back, we had to wear rubberbands for a week and 'pop' ourselves anytime we negative self-talked. For the first few days I was really red wristed. However, it got better after a week. of course, now, I catch myself reaching for the rubber band (that I don't wear anymore) now when I get a case of the negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds almost exactly like me - the unrealistic expectations and negative self-talk. It's awful, isn't it? You are not alone - something that all of us deal with one time or another. Thanks for this post - it helps me! AND by the way - eating chocolate after getting your wisdom teeth pulled so does NOT count. :) What chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll look forward to meeting you in the changing tent! You will come away from IMFL this year so inspired, and with Liz's help you will be soooo ready next year. There will be a huge group of my training buddies signing up for '09--look for all the "TriGirls" and come introduce yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Self esteem - yes.
    Patience too. Be patient. Trust in the work Liz is giving you and what you do with it.

    It will come. Just be patient.

    Greatness does not happen over night - or even in a season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post - it says it all and is a great reflection of what we ALL need to work on. I think all of us have doubts and need to work on self esteem. Yet, those who do are also way too hard on themselves. Me included, I need to work on this too. Good job by the way lying to the parents. You were just sparing them some drama, right?

    ReplyDelete