Pages - Menu

Friday, August 8, 2008

You win some, you lose some

Well, this week has been a crazy one. Work has been busy, Megan was extra needy and the race I did on Saturday finally hit me full force by about Tuesday… I was tired!

 On top of that, remember that book I had been waiting to come out? Well it showed up at my door on Tuesday evening and I HAD to read it. So I spent a lot of the evenings staying up just so I could read it. You know when a book has you trapped so deeply that you can’t put it down or stop reading to take a rest? Even when your eyes are burning and you are yawning because you got up at 4.30 and it is midnight already? That was me. This week.

 I started the book on Tuesday evening and by Thursday at lunchtime I had already finished it. And no, I did not take off of work. I just read during lunch, during breakfast, during dinner and after Megan went to bed. I was completely sucked up into this wonderful world of vampires. Did I mention that I LOVE vampires?? Crazy? Yeah, it’s my middle name ;)

 Workouts kind of sucked this week. My body was exhausted and my mind was fried with all my stupid deadlines and plans for next week (we are going on vacation for a week to the beach.. YAY!). My nutrition was less than stellar and my body could tell. I guess you could say I dropped the ball this week. I got sidetracked and lost sight of the big picture.

 Did I get discouraged? Yes, but just  a little bit. I decided that I needed to listen to what my body was telling me.

 Thursday evening I was ready for my longest swim ever. 2900 yds. Holy cow! When I saw it on the schedule I got a bit scared. Self doubt populated my head. When I got to the pool I remembered Coach’s post about letting the workout be unwritten, do not get into it predisposed to it being a bad one. Free the mind and just do what you know how to do. I did. And guess what? I had a very nice long swim. The 6x300 yds for the main set were not as hard as I thought they were going to be. Yes, I did struggle with some of them; especially the ones that were “speed” related. But I finished them. And when I got out of the pool I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. Maybe I AM getting better at swimming. Maybe I will become fast one day. I just have to keep at it. Perseverance (that is my second middle name ;) )

This morning I had a long run on the books, and I had been looking forward to it most of the week. I went out early, to beat out the heat. I was pumped. I started running and my legs felt heavy. About a mile into the run my stomach started to feel funny. I could not even stomach water. So after 20 minutes of  slow progress, I turned around and decided to call it a day. I walked the way back. I felt a little bit defeated, and at the same time a bit proud of myself. Proud because I was not super upset about having to cut a workout short. My body had had enough. I listened. I guess sometimes you just have to come to terms with the idea that you win some &  you lose some. And today I did.

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing bout these books. I might just have to look into it. It sounds like you were smart to listen to your body and cut the run short

    ReplyDelete