Pages - Menu

Sunday, August 24, 2008

I LOVE MY COACH!

Two years ago, when I first got involved in triathlon I was all about the group setting. Working out with other people, having the extra motivation to get up early knowing that I would not be doing the workout by myself. It was all laid out for us. We had awesome coaches, that handled the group very well. Some of them had their own coaching business and were pretty successful at it.

Fast forward to this year. When the time came to move on from the group setting, you would have thought that I would have chosen one of the people whose coaching style I know. Someone local, someone that already knew me. Oddly enough I did not. The coaches I had while training with the group were awesome; they knew their craft, they were great motivators, but they did not see "IT" in me. Not that they ever told me; that would have been totally classless; but you could tell by their actions. What is "IT"? I am not 100% sure, but I think it is a combination of potential, dedication and passion. 

So after stumbling upon Liz's blog and reading some of her entries (this one in particular) I decided to take a risk and sign up for coaching with her. And, oh boy! am I happy I did!!!!

Ever since I have started working with Liz I have learned more about myself than I have in a while. It is amazing how through something as simple (note that I did not say easy, because gosh, sometimes it is not easy at all!) as coaching me towards a goal she has helped me realize what I am made of. And we are still in the get to know you phase!!! I have been working with her for 5 months and I can tell you for a fact that I am in the best shape of my life. I am in better shape than I was before I had my daughter (and I thought I looked good back then), and I have been crushing all my times in my races.

Yesterday I had a Sprint tri. It was the one that got me started in Triathlons 2 years ago. Back in 2006 I finished that race in a little over 2 hours, I did it last year and I finished it in a bit under 2 hours. I did it yesterday and I finished 15 minutes FASTER than in 2007. 16 minutes!!!! The best part of it is that I felt awesome during the entire race. And after I finished I could have jumped on my bike and gone home. 

And who do I have to thank for these amazing results?? My coach Liz! Yes, I did all the work, but without her guidance I would not be here. It takes a great coach to get the best out of you; and LIZ is one of them.

8 comments:

  1. Way to go! That's fantastic! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea.... :-)

    Excellent job!! You are refining your zone!! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, congratulations!!!! AMAZING results!!! And, second...yep, I concur, of course being on the flip side of Elizabeth, she is great and REALLY cares about her athletes and has done a great job. So happy you are so happy. A good coach is like a spouse...love them and hate them at the same time! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE MY ATHLETES! Especially when they are motivated and committed to their goals. You earned the PR Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz and I have competed together but have become good friends over the last couple years. She definitely has a knack for lighting a fire under your ass. As a friend, Liz played a big part of the biggest race of my life, and I'll never forget what she told me. Here's a perfect example of how we just don't always know what we're capable of. Sometimes we need others to help us uncover the potential, even if it's just hidden in our minds: http://amykloner.wordpress.com/2007/10/25/2008-long-course-duathlon-world-championship-race-report/
    Keep up the good work!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sing Liz's praises too! She's FANTASTIC and she makes me a better athlete everyday.

    ReplyDelete