Pages - Menu

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Close to home

Some things don’t even seem real until they affect you or someone you care about. Sometimes, even though you keep up to date with the news and world events you still don’t realize how “true” they are because they are not happening right at your front door.

Well, reality struck yesterday. I have a girlfriend who lives in VA. Yesterday morning as I turned my cell phone on when I got to work; a text message popped on my screen. It was from her. It read something like this: “We are all together and safe. Our house was totaled by the tornado, so please keep us in your prayers” My heart broke right there and I immediately thought: Why? Why her and her family? I know they are safe and healthy and together; and that is the most important thing. But I can’t imagine the despair of having a house one minute and it being gone the next. Everything you own, GONE. Having to start from scratch all over again. It just makes my heart ache. I want to help, but I am not sure what to do. I have reached out to her to let her know she can call me whenever she needs me; and that is as much as I can do. That drives me crazy. The feeling of not being able to do more, wanting to be there by her side and not being able to because even though you would leave in a heartbeat, reality is that you have a family and a job you still need to attend to. And that makes me mad.

I am sorry this post is a downer, but I struggled with this all day yesterday and every time I think about it, it brings tears to my eyes and I can feel my heart break just a bit more.

This week is a rest week for me so there won’t be a lot to update, I am retesting on all 3 disciplines to see if I have made some kind of progress. I am seriously hoping that I have improved my swimming times and also that I am able to run at a higher HR threshold because that would mean being able to run faster on the same HR zone as before. I have done my swim test this morning and I am awaiting response from Coach. Running test is tomorrow and bike test is Saturday. I am single parenting this weekend because Todd (my husband) is volunteering at the Wachovia championship (golf) Thursday thru Sunday; so it will be a good chance for mother/daughter bonding time. I need to come up with some fun ideas on what to do. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm so glad they are safe. You are right, we don't think things like this will happen to us or the people we love the most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that's tough. I will keep your friend in my thoughts. I can't imagine having to go through that. I saw some of those pictures, and am glad to hear they are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that they are safe that's the main thing. When I have friends going through a rough time I let them know I am there for them and then I am there in as much capacity as I can be. That is all you can do really.

    Have fun with your daughter this weekend. Oh and I almost forgot but a few entries back I saw that you hird Liz. CONGRATULATIONS! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete