Pages - Menu

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Creative weekend.

This weekend I got to attend an event based around my other passion: papercrafting/art. It was 2 days full of trying new things and meeting new people. It was also the opportunity to meet some of the people that inspire me in a creative way. I totally went into the event with the mindset of not being a groupie of any of these amazing ladies, and I managed to do just great until I landed into the workshop of the lady I admire the most, Kal Bartesky. She  is an amazing artist, full of creativity, talent and the most rocking awesome attitude. She calls it "Bulletproof positive attitude" and I am a believer. 

The concept is simple... you learn to not listen to what other people say and you do not let anybody bring you down. Easy to say, and not so easy to do. You basically become your very own #1 fan, and you talk yourself into felling like a rockstar. Well, for someone with not so high self esteem this can be a very tough task. I am proud to say I worked on it this weekend.  I worked on becoming my number one fan and more than anything in believing that what I do is good. I focused on creating art (my own special way) without looking at other people's work for comparison. Inspiration? Yes. Comparison? No. And it felt good. 

It felt good to let go of my own mental limitations and just let myself create to my heart's content. It was just the little bit of creative time I needed.  Two of the projects I worked on were related to triathlon. I put together a small book where I plan to put a couple of pictures from each race this year to document my season. The other project was kind of liberating. I used the phrase "I tri" and then let the "reasons" why I do it flow to my head as I wrote them down. The biggest one.. "because it became a part of who I am". And I thought WOW. That made my day.

Training was good this week/weekend. Today was a day off and I have been glued to the computer watching Ironmanlive... Addictive! I am thinking 2010 will be my ironman year... I need to get a couple of HalfIM's under my belt before I feel comfortable enough to tackle the long distance. I am not ready yet, but I will be. My "Bulletproof positive Attitude" will be with me the whole way... Thanks Kal for the inspiration, to make art and to not let anyone shoot me down. Not even myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment