Pages - Menu

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

My relationship with food: and how I am going to make it a better one

The off season came and went. I enjoyed it a bit too much and as a consequence I am left with some extra lbs; that I'd rather not be carrying. Before you ask, yes I still fit into my regular clothes, but I do see some differences in HOW they fit. Confession time: I am a bit of a scale slave.

I know that the sport we are involved with is a bit of a double edge sword. It can be conducive to changes in body composition, but in my experience it is a fine line. Food and I have a pretty good relationship... What kind of relationship? I love food.. maybe too much. My number one loves? Sugar and breads. Exactly the type of things one should be limiting when it pertains to trying to change body composition.

I figured I'd give you a little bit of background on my struggles before I flat out tell you my goals. They are not too daunting and they are more related to habits and making them healthy, attainable, and something I can carry on for years to come. So without further ado, here they are:

- Prepare lunch before the crazy work day begins. Since I work from home, I can always walk downstairs and "make lunch" when hunger strikes; this has proved counter productive... I am either on too much of a time crunch to make a healthy lunch OR I completely forget to eat! Missing a meal = bad athlete strategy.

- Nail down breakfast. I am still trying to figure out what type of food I like eating most in the morning. Most days I crave something starchy, like toast. So I think I need to start experimenting with other options... Perhaps more oatmeal or some overnight oats (I hear those are delicious).

- Have vegetables with EVERY dinner. I have a very "picky" eater family. And this will mean cooking different things for myself.

-Cut down my coffee consumption.. considerably. I am capable of drinking 10 cups (per the coffee maker marks) a day (this equals 4 cups in my IM mug). Goal is: 2 in the morning and NO coffee in the afternoon -- will have to experiment with hot tea. (what brands/flavors do you like?)

- No added sugar. If I want something sweet it has to be a fruit. I will allow myself dried fruit, but with  moderation.

- Limit bread products. This will be the occasional toast or a healthy sandwich for lunch (with LOTS of veggies in it)


So, there it is.. My healthy eating habits goals for this year (say that 3 times fast ;-) )


Do you have any tips you can share with me??

1 comment:

  1. I have a great recipe for an oatmeal frittata, which I need to use more as a substitute for breakfast. I am also a bread slave. It's so easy and quick to do, and since I pretty much hate oatmeal, it's the only way I can ingest it. I also use it as fuel before races, it's easy on the stomach. http://ririnette.blogspot.ca/2013/05/easy-recipes-harleys-oatmeal-frittata.html

    You could also try some egg whites omlets, there are lots of variations: http://ririnette.blogspot.ca/2012/09/easy-recipes-omelet-of-champions.html

    The rest of time I eat boiled eggs and toast with ham... But I could use some new ideas too. Oh and I put on 10lb since September. Having problems fitting inside my clothes with ease as well.

    ReplyDelete