Pages - Menu

Sunday, January 12, 2014

It can only get better from here... Right?

I can't believe it has been almost 3 weeks since my last post... Ok, I can... Not exactly the most regular blogger around here.

A couple of challenging weeks can throw even the best of us for a loop. At a time when I am supposed to be settling into a rhythm with training and such, I find myself struggling to get it done. It is not because I do not want to train, but because of everything else that has been going on.

Between work, parenting (the one that has been the most challenging of all), outpatient surgery, and wifely duties... I find myself busy, stressed and extremely tired!

About 2 weeks ago I had surgery to remove a mass from my side/back, as it had grown quite big and it had become uncomfortable. Surgery went very well, lasted all of 28 minutes and about 4 hours after I left my house to head to the hospital, I was back home already recuperating. I got the pathology from it and it came negative (woohoo!) Of course, having this little surgery meant no strenuous activity for a while and definitely no swimming for 2 weeks. I thought I'd never say this... But I missed the pool!
The scar.

The "thing" I got removed













The inactivity drove me crazy! I could only wait 3 days before I got on my trainer to spin the legs for a little while. I managed 30 minutes the first day back, as I did not want to "pull" anything. Slowly but surely I got my biking legs under me and I spent a lot of quality time with my bike on the trainer. High power intervals, slow recovery spins; you name it.. I did it!

Running... well, that is another story. I have not run a step since December 30th. After the surgery the jostling movement hurt my side, so running was put on hold until the doctor assured me that I would not hurt myself if I went out for some liberating miles. I got the all clear 2 days ago... and I still have not been able to run a single step! WTF?!?!

Friday was a very busy day at work. I am a business analyst for one of the software products my employer utilizes internally, and this weekend we had a release to "production" (meaning... we went live with our changes). A lot of last minute testing, fine tuning, etc; combined with parenting.. and I was stuck without a workout.

The weekend came around and here I sit; with a heating pad placed on my lower back. I can barely move without wincing in pain. I'll spare you the details, but I will say.. my 3 year old is strong, and "fighting" him (for his own good) is not an easy thing to do. The whole situation has made me cry more than I am willing to admit; the feelings of helplessness as you realize he is the reason why he is so uncomfortable and the fact that there isn't much you can do to help him... As a mother, it breaks my heart...

I think it is safe to say, January has not been the poster child for a "great year" start; but I still have high hopes for 2014. I am not defeated yet.. and it can only get better from here.. right?

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Danni! I am happy to hear that the mass is now gone and won't be bothering you any time soon and I can definitely understand how hard is to struggle through your workouts, especially when life is busy and unpredictable. I've only managed to run twice since Dec 1st and I've been going cuckoo too, but I am telling myself that it's better when bad things happen in the off season. You took care of your health issues now, it can only go up from here, indeed! Allez, courage! ;-)

    ReplyDelete