Pages - Menu

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Migraines Suck!

Well, this morning I woke up with one nasty migraine. The left side of my head was pulsing with pain and any sound/light/smell made me queasy. I have been having migraines for a couple of years now. I used to have them once a month. After I made some changes in my life the migraines stopped showing up. I thought I had gotten over them, but I guess the little suckers stayed put, just waiting for the best time to strike. 
We had a tough night last night with Megan (our daughter). She is at that age (3 1/2) where she keeps testing limits, and last night dinner was the fight of choice. After proclaiming for a good 10 minutes that she was hungry for dinner, we proceeded to heat up some corn casserole that she had eaten/loved before. I thought to myself: "We can actually have her eat the same stuff we are eating". I was WRONG. What unfolded after that was a battle of wills. To make a long story short, she was sent to bed almost an hour earlier than usual after being warned numerous times about the consequences of her actions.  
I had already had a LONG day at work and went to bed quite angry. Well, I guess all the tension built up and lead to this morning's visitor... the migraine. After trying to deal with it on my own (I am not one that will take medications at the first sign of ailment) for almost 2 hours, finally on my way to work I popped my prescribed migraine medicine while in the car. I seemed to remember from my last migraine (almost 3 months ago) this medicine would just take care of my unwanted visitor in a matter of minutes without any other major consequences. I was wrong again. After 20 minutes had elapsed, my migraine was still there (fading but still present) and my body felt as if I had just been ran over by a truck. I was glad I had reached the parking garage at work and wasn't driving anymore. My energy was gone. After doing some research online I found out that fatigue is one of the "rare" side effects of the prescribed medicine. Guess what I won't be taking again?
I had planned a swim during lunch (trying to get "some" of my pool endurance before starting my work with Coach) and a run after work. It was a beautiful day here in NC today, so I was going to run outside in my favorite shorts and shirt. None of it happened. I survived through my workday, and actually felt pretty good about getting as many things accomplished as I did given the circumstances. But by the time 5 pm came about I was ready to go home and crash. So I did.
I really do not like when stuff like this, that is completely out of my control, affects an otherwise perfect day for training. But, if you look on the bright side, one migraine every three months is better than once a month. And I should be able to handle that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment