Pages - Menu

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Sickies

Not much has been going on around these parts. I think I have finally embraced the off season. I am pretty much taking everything very relaxed and not really pushing myself to do much; except keep up with my running workouts. And I am only doing that because I had this insane goal of breaking 2 hours on my upcoming half marathon.

I say "had" because I had a double case of the sickies. 

Last week I had a monster cold where I felt like I could not even lift a foot, and that lasted for about  4 days. On Friday I was feeling like my old self again, so I ran easy for 30 minutes and that felt super good. Saturday I spent the day with the family, relaxing, doing some shopping; and on Sunday I decided to go for an hour long run. Boy was it hard! My legs felt like bricks and I really struggled to move forward. I will say that the wind was not helping either. I think I might have started that run a bit underdressed, but after I was able to get a bot more shielded from the wind I was ok.

Then yesterday... That feeling of soreness all over the body; like you have been ran over by a train. I had chills, a sore throat, a headache. Could not keep my eyes open. I think I must have fell asleep at around 8.30 PM. 

Today I am better; but still don't think I am at 100% health. That is why I have decided not to pursue my crazy goal of breaking 2 hours in the half marathon. For some of you this might not seem like such a "crazy" thing; but my best half marathon time is 2:17; so it would be a 17 minute drop on my previous PR. And that is a big number in my books. I will do the race; just because running a half marathon at this time of the year is what got me into sports 4 years ago; and it is my little way of celebrating my own "tradition", and also because it is fun. (And between us, it makes me feel less guilty about the foods I eat during the holidays)

After the race in December, I will take a break from everything except swimming. During december I will swim 5x a week. Why? Because I will re-create my stroke. I want to be able to swim much more efficiently and I know my body is used to doing things the easy way. I am on a mission to accept it will be hard and to embrace the challenge. When January rolls around I will let you know how I did on that. 

For now, I just hope this case of the sickies goes away soon. Catch you later, dudes!


5 comments:

  1. Ugh, sorry you were sick. You may just surprise yourself at that half. Sometimes the breakthroughs come when we least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've gotten sick :( It feels like we're all fighting it off a bit at this point in the year. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going around for sure! I have been lucky but wonder just how long I can hold off the germs.

    I bet you get really close to your goal of coming under 2:00 - even if it means coming in at 1:59:59! You still have three weeks, right? You'll be fine - plus all the training you have done this year?

    You're going to do great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've had the sickies. :( 5 days a week of SWIMMING?! Were you on cold medicine when you agreed to this?! Good for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I like the new blog title -- your blog is dynamic!

    You will get better soon and I agree with what these other girls have said you will probably surprise yourself at your half. I look forward to reading about it!

    Just a reminder that I am back on blogger at http://ramblingbydesign.blogspot.com/

    If you could change your reader and sidebar link when you have time that would be awesome!

    You are doing great Danni -- keep the big picture in your sights. :-)

    ReplyDelete