Pages - Menu

Saturday, November 20, 2010

And the clock keeps ticking

And we continue to wait.

Last thursday I had my 39 week doctor's appointment. This was one of the few appointments I had Todd come with me. I was secretly hoping that they would tell me I was 4 cm dilated and they would send me straight to the hospital to deliver this child of mine. But I think Baby K has other plans.

We arrived there and this time I was not so lucky to get the first morning appointment; that made the wait a little longer than I would like. We sat on the waiting room for about 15 minutes; not terrible, but not ideal either. When my name was called the first thing my nurse tells me is: Wow, I'm surprised you are still here, I thought you would have already gone by now... In my head the phrase: You and me sister, you and me, pops up. I put on my best smile on and say something along the lines of: I guess Baby is comfortable in the belly! (trying not to punch anyone).

Next up, the friendly scale (and yes, this is sarcasm). I look at the number and I almost faint. I can't believe how heavy I have become; I do NOT like what I see, not a single bit; but I have accepted the fact that at this point there is nothing else for me to do. The lbs are there, and until this kid decides to make an entrance they will remain in my body whether I like it or not. After that big disappointment it's time to leave the urine sample. Now, mind you, with the increasing size of the belly it has become more and more difficult to position that cup on the proper place to collect the "sample". Let's just say, a contortionist I am not, and this "Collection" has become increasingly painful.

I get to the room and we go through the routine: blood pressure, Q&A. The nurse leaves and tells me to undress from the waist down. I do as requested and proceed to sit on the examination table covered by the most flattering paper sheet.  A few moments pass and in comes the doctor with the nurse. Immediately I tell my doc that he is NOT allowed to make any more predictions on WHEN I will go into labor; he has for the past 2 weeks and I am convinced that it is because of his predictions that Baby K has decided to stay snugly inside. The nurse tells me AGAIN, how surprised she is since DR K is NEVER wrong. Well, I guess I am the exception that confirms the rule... right?

We listen to the heartbeat next. Nurse D puts the doppler on my belly and while the thing counts and displays on the screen how fast Baby K's heart is beating, Dr K guesses the correct number 144. Nurse D gets all flustered and says: He always gets it! To which I reply: Well, we better let him be right about SOMETHING, as he seems to be wrong about when I will go into labor each time he guesses. Laughter from all parties in the room erupts and my husband now understands why I like my doctor so much. 

We do the cervix check next. This is not, by any stretch, comfortable, but it is something we must endure as a part of pregnancy/labor. The good news, I have progressed; though barely. One more cm and 15% more effaced for a whopping total of 3cm and 65%. What do these numbers mean? Well, not much; but at least I know that the few painful contractions I have been having, have been doing their job. 

In the hopes that we could get this baby out and get me home in time for Thanksgiving day; Dr K offers to "Strip my membranes" (I'll let you google that one). I agree. What follows is something even more uncomfortable. It plain ol' hurts. I try to relax, as I know that if you do not tense your body it will hurt less; but I am not able to. Within a minute he is done; and he helps me sit up.

(A little background, and forgive me if I have already said this, one of the reasons why I picked Dr K as my doctor is because he is also a triathlete/runner, so he understands the passion, and we can talk about stuff other than my girly parts)

After seeing me wince and hear me say "this hurts" while he is doing the procedure; as he is helping me sit up he blurts out: Well, no pain no gain; right? After which I promptly burst out in laughter. He leaves the room to let me get dressed while he goes and researches what options I have in the case that Baby K decides to be stubborn and NOT come out on time.

Todd and I wait for maybe a minute or two and when he comes back he offers me 2 dates to be induced. Wanting to seriously avoid a c-section at all costs; I decide to pick the one that is a week after my due date rather than the one that is one day before my due date; with the hopes that my body will decide to start the process by itself without having to be pumped full of drugs other than painkillers (yes I am ALL for the epidural).

We also find out that if the "stripping of membranes" is to work; it will usually do so within 24-48 hrs. I am sad to report that it has been 48 hrs already I am still here; baby is still cooking, thanksgiving is 5 days away, and it looks like I will still have my very own personal turkey within my body. 
At least Baby K, held off on making his appearance until I went to see the Harry Potter movie; like I had asked him a long time ago. That's got to count for something, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment