Pages - Menu

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Unleashing the animal

Countless times I have read on Coach’s blog about racing and training “like an animal”. Always wondered what it meant and if I had experienced it. The answer came to me last night during my group ride.

After riding the century on Saturday I thought for sure this week would be a slow, steady slugfest. I rested hard on Sunday; and when Monday came around I was actually looking forward to my run and testing my legs. I went out after work and was surprised to feel my legs respond well. I was not necessarily fast; but it was one of the best runs I have had in a while. I decided to run without music and to go out as light as possible. It was just a one hour run and I had hydrated well during the day; so I thought there would be no problem if I ran without water.

The schedule also called for running without HRM and boy did I love that! Going by feel felt awesome and the time ticked away pretty fast. My simple out and back route proved to be efficient, fun and yet challenging; as the last ¾ mile was mostly uphill. I was very happy with my performance and headed home in a high of sorts. As it always happens when I run after work; my adrenaline kept me up way past my regular bedtime. When I finally fell asleep; a severe storm rolled through that made me wake up every 45 minutes or thereabouts. A bad night of sleep to put it in simple words.

Tuesday morning came way too early and I was exhausted. The 3000 yds on tap did not look appealing; but I was going to put the effort and get through them. And then I reached the pool. The lanes were full and I made the decision of just showering and heading to work; switching my rest day from Friday to Tuesday. Needless to say; Tuesday night I was asleep by 9 pm.

Wednesday morning found me working from home; able to get a couple more hours of sleep and well rested. Work was busy, nothing too terrible but a constant stream of projects and requests. My feelings towards the evening ride swing back and forth: I wanted to bag it, I wanted to go out and ride hard…. Eventually I decided I would go and try my best to hang with the “B” group. A couple of times I had ridden this ride with the “C” group and found their pace too slow for me; but the B group seemed intimidating as it was always full of guys with long strong legs and a policy of “If you have never ridden with us and don’t know the route, take a cue sheet because we will not wait”.

Armed with a couple of bottles of water and a cue sheet, I decided I’d give it my best to ride with B. After the long, steady century I just wanted to go and ride HARD for once. My schedule had a couple of intervals built into it; but I wanted more. We rolled out and knowing that the first 15-20 minutes of all my rides feel awkward I stayed comfortably on the middle/back of the pack and spun my legs to make sure they warmed up nicely before I started the efforts. A couple of people must have thought I was already struggling by mile 1 when we were going up a hill and I was just spinning instead of pushing the higher gears. A couple of words of encouragement were thrown my way and I smirked and thanked them.

About 5 miles into the ride; the group got split in 2 at a traffic light. Since I was on the middle/back I was on the group that stayed behind. I got a little pissy about it; but quickly decided to change my attitude and make the most of it. There were about 8 of us and I quickly put myself towards the front. I got into the big ring and decided I would keep up with the leaders no matter what. I was going up hills on my big chain ring (something I do not do much); descending like a champ (I am a big chicken when it come to descending); and finding that I had to slow down so I would not pass the leaders that knew the route. I was holding back; and I just wanted to GO.

I rode like this for a while until I was certain of where we were going and what the route did. In one of the flat sections, I passed the leaders and asked if I could take a pull. I was met with incredulous eyes. And I took that as a challenge. I shouted: “jump in” and started hammering. I cannot begin to tell you how good I felt. Getting down in aero, pushing the gears yet keeping my cadence at the level I wanted; knowing that I (the short girl in the small bike) was pulling the big guys. I was riding on roads all too familiar to me, at speeds about 2-3 mph faster than I normally ride them at. We came to a stop light; I looked behind and saw I had dropped about ½ of the group. The guys that stayed with me were commenting on how fast I had pulled them on this particular stretch of the road; and were actually complimenting me on a job well done. But I was no where near finished. As soon as that light turned green I started going again and was determined to pull until the end of the ride.

I gave it my best; I was working hard and one of the guys passed me as if I was at a stand still. I tried hard to get on his wheel, but to no avail. Definitely too fast for me, but I did not get discouraged; it just made me want to work harder. I finally caught up to him at another traffic light. As soon as that one turned green I went back to pulling. And man, I was going fast! And I felt STRONG. I felt the animal coming out right from inside me; and it was the best feeling I have experienced in a long time.

I wanted to ride a bit longer so I headed to ride an extra loop; but the guys wanted to go back so we said our goodbyes. I left with a bunch of "Well done's" some "thank you for a great pull" and the one that made me feel the best of all: "hope you come back next week and I can ride in your draft".

4 comments:

  1. LOL... Well done. Coach might be a bit peeved that you waited until she was gone to let the animal out... but I doubt it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go. That is awesome. Sometimes all it takes is to push beyond what you know you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who is this NEW Danni?? For real! I've noticed a real change in you in the last month or so.

    The new Danni is positive and fearless!

    I like "new" Danni!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is FANTASTIC! I love the fearless approach. :)

    ReplyDelete