Pages - Menu

Monday, January 19, 2009

POWER!!!

I can't believe it is only 12:30 and I have already had somewhat of a full day.

It all started at 4:45 this morning. For some reason, my body has been deciding to wake up way before the alarm goes off, with me being wide awake at about 4 am. Today I managed to stay sort of relaxed until 4:45. On my schedule for today was a bike test.

About a week ago, I purchased a new piece of equipment to use with my bike when I ride indoors. I purchased a new trainer that is actually like a computrainer but a different brand called Tacx. I set it up last weekend and immediatly tried it. I loved what I saw. It measures power, cadence, distance, speed. You can also adjust slopes, so when you need to feel like you are going uphill, instead of switching to a harder gear; you just crank up the slope and then you are able to ride your bike as you would outside. The only problem I encountered with this new friend of mine, was the installation of the software on the PC. For some stupid reason every time I connect it to the USB port it asks me to re-install the driver for the bike computer. Certainly a minor issue, but annoying nonetheless.

As most of yuu know the tests call for you to not eat for the 2 hours prior to the test; so this morning I got up at 4:45 with the sole purpose of eating some breakfast. I got up, went downstairs; ingested some toast and guess what?? I went back to bed and set the alarm for 7 am! I hae the day off from work, so I was not about to stay up. Know what I mean?? When the alarm went off I got dressed and ready to test.

I got to my little "workout room", set up my stuff and got on the bike. The warm up was uneventful. I kept it really easy and spun my legs as best as I could. After the warmup was done; I recalibrated the computer to get the most accurate data detail as possible. Reset the HR monitor, take a sip of sports drink and go.

The test comprised of 2x8 minute sets where you are supposed to go as fast as you can, separated by 4 minutes of easy spinning. My goodness! I did not know what I got myself into when I bought the new whatchamacallit.

Liz had advised me that it would hurt in my lungs and legs. And boy, did it ever!!!! I could feel my heart pounding in my cheast, my breath burning my throat and my mouth getting dry with every second that went by. Those first 8 minutes seemed to last an eternity. I wanted to stop so badly! But I made it and the 4 minutes easy spin in between the 2 tests where so welcome!

The second set was more of the same. Hurt as badly, my lungs and legs burnt. I tried to keep the power level at the same numbers than the first set, but fatigue in the legs had started to set in and it showed. This time I covered the computer screen and focused on the music I had playing on my iPod. When it was over, all I had left was a 15 minute cool down along with a 15 minute run off the bike. Surprisingly, the run felt quite good. I thought my legs would be shot, but they actually fared pretty well.

After sending all the data to Liz, I had to get ready for my next adventure of the day. A date with my Father in Law at the shooting range!!!!

I had never shot a gun before and pretty much all the members of my husband's immediate family had told me how much fun it was. So I decided to give it a go. A couple of months ago I would have told you I was anti-guns, but with the husband traveling and spending many a nights alone in the house with Megan I started considering keeping a gun in the house for protection. But first I needed to learn how to shoot and see if I felt comfortable holding a gun.

After going through the safety issues about 3 times and showing me how to properly handle the gun we got to the firing line; put the target out and shot. Wow! What a rush. I tought I'd be scared, but I wasn't. I'd be lying if I said that the noise did not make me jump at first; but it was more from the other people in the range than from the gun I was firing. At first my aim was horrible, but once I kind of got used to what to expect I did much better. Did I enjoy it? Yes. Did I feel comfortable with it? yes. Would I want to go back? Yes. Am I still considering keeping a gun in the house? Yes, given that we take the needed precautions to keep it out of Megan's reach and sight. Luckily for us, my father in law is very versed in firearms and is willing to help me make sure it is all the way it's supposed to be.

Today was a day where I felt powerful; both on the bike and at the range.

I do not know what the numbers I sent to Liz from the bike test mean, or even if I am about average for someone my age and size. But I felt that given the proper training and recovery it can only get better. I still trust the plan, and most importantly the coach. I just now have different tools to get where I want to go.

2 comments:

  1. GREAT job!!! I wish I had your nice indoor gizmo to test power :) I did my bike test last week outside!

    Sounds like a fantastic day so far! Enjoy the recovery from the bike test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, congrats on feeling STRONG! ;-) Always a nice feeling.

    ReplyDelete