Pages - Menu

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Peak week

Well folks, it's finally here. Peak week starts tomorrow. I can't believe I have only 2 weeks left until my "big" race. It will be my first 1/2 IM and I can't hardly wait. 

These past too weeks have been pretty hard on me. I have been extremely exhausted, busy at work, and with a gazillion other things going on. I spent an entire week without being able to sleep properly, and my body almost quit on me about 100 times. Somehow I managed to push forward and got myself to a rest week, where I was able to unplug, recharge and get ready for the Betty's (sorry, just saw a cartoon with Megan this afternoon and they have this very catchy song... "Ready for the Betty's", I have been singing it ever since) You know what? I like the expression, so I shall use it going forward... Ready for the Betty's. Yeah..

Anyhow, today we got back from the mountains. Very relaxing trip, short, and beautiful. I realized also that I would not be able to live in the mountains, as every time the road encountered a switchback I was holding onto anything and everything in the car. Vertigo. A lot of it. Not good.

The funny thing is that as we were getting ready to have dinner at the resort last night, I saw a guy with a 37 sharpied on his calf. Turns out he had done a tri that morning. And he said it was in preparation for his 1/2 IM on the 28th... The same one I am doing. Small world. 

Coach gave me my goals for the upcoming race. We took into consideration my current abilities, and we came up with a time that would be doable. A time that would be challenging but not a killer.  Do I have a super secret goal?? Of course I do! I have a super secret time goal for the perfect race conditions; that is if the star, moon and sun align... A bit of a long shot; but coach once told me "Dream Big"... so I am.

Of course, the first goal is getting myself to the finish line. I am NOT quitting this race, no matter how much it hurts; because I know it will. The long distance is a different beast than the short course, and I respect the beast. Does not mean I don't want to crush it, because I do; it just means that I will approach it cautiously and take a good look at it, study it for a bit before I decide to go at it with all my might. 

The focus is on executing the race plan to the T. Making my nutrition on the bike priority number 1; because I know that once I hit the run, my stomach is only capable of handling one gel every 50 minutes or so. 

So of to peak week I go tomorrow. Speed awaits. It's time to let the fun begin.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck with peak week. Nothing quite like it. I'm sure everything will come together for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach also says, step 1 is "believe" :-) I've learned a ton since my first half iron. If I had listened to Liz my run would have gone so much better. I can't wait to have another go at it on Sept 28!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe the SC 1/2 is almost here. It will be my first 70.3 also

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear all about it! You will have so much fun...and be in so much pain - AT THE SAME TIME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you have so much fun @ your half! Just keep on going... no matter how much you want to give in... cause at the end of the race you will have accomplished so special and so big :)

    ReplyDelete